Originally Posted by LuanKuci
@ Furio - thanks for that list but it’s quite outdated. Tony Dote and Rudy Fratto are allegedly made but don’t appear. Vito D. Spillone and Gino Martin passed away a few years ago.

I still don't get the whole “Southern Italian organized crime principles” statement by Johnson. And how does having higher up associates of non-Italian descent fit into that?

@ jonnynonos - my thoughts exactly. I forgot to mention the 28 members argument in my opening post but we all got the picture. What is available online about them doesn't make it look like a cohesive organization at all.

@ Moscone - typical government sensationalism. With the impact of black and Hispanic crime groups all over Chicagoland, bringing up the Outfit as a major point of focus for LE agencies is ridiculous.

Like I was saying in the OP, the mob in Chicago has scattered into small independent crews...at best. Similarly to the “Irish mob” in today’s Boston, today’s “Outfit” should be understood as a general term for a spread out criminal subculture made of smaller cliques of mostly Italian-last named crooks criminally unrelated to one another.

That 28 members thing is ancient and has been debated on here extensively. If I remember correctly, the posters who I considered more rational all ended up coming to a kind of consensus that it was the last time the FBI had given any real insight into membership and if you parce it up now — and now another 5 years later — probably half-to-three quarters are dead, in jail or like 90.

One of the interesting takeaways though — again, for people who display some kind of objectivity — was that virtually everyone on the list was a known gangster who had been arrested multiple times for high profile cases.

So in order to believe that the Outfit still has a fraction of the vitality it once had, you have to believe that a lot of new people have moved into those roles but no one knows who they are, really what they’re doing, and they never get caught. Which is obviously silly.

Last edited by jonnynonos; 10/15/18 10:30 PM.