PS — one of the authors of the Law Studies review I linked above published an article in 2016 about the Outfit and its reputed connections to street gangs. It’s pretty straightforward but there’s this interesting part where he implies:

Originally Posted by Dr. Wayne A. Johnson
Although streets gang demographics have changed, and the vice trade has changed along with it, the Chicago Mob, or Outfit, which often recruited its deadly talent from these very street gangs, remains an elusive traditional organized crime entity. And I want to be clear on this point: The Chicago Outfit is just that, traditional organized crime. It is not the Mafia; it has always been very diverse and operates under the principals of Southern Italian organized crime.
https://themobmuseum.org/blog/the-chicago-mob-vs-chicago-street-gangs/

What are these Southern Italian crime principals he referred to? The only possible explanation I could think of is that he meant that they have more to share with the Camorra or other Southern Italian criminal subcultures than the Sicilians. Which is quite odd because, if I remember correctly, Giancana was the one who introduced the making ceremony and “Sicilianized” the Outfit in order to be in line with crime families on the East Coast.