Originally Posted by BarrettM
. Persico's a legendary figure and Rastelli is just the guy who had his family taken from him and barely won it back. Indeed the Bonanno golden age would be under Uncle Joe and silver age under Massino. But they have a history of very weak dons.

Well put, Barrett. I'm sure you know about the war the Gallos declared on the Profacis ca. 1961. Eldest brother Larry went to a sit-down at the Sahara Lounge in Booklyn, where he was garroted, and saved from death at the last second by a cop who happened to walk in (it was the inspiration for a famous scene in Godfather II). Some say Persico wielded the garrot.

I really enjoyed the Bonanno biography. Even if it was self serving it was filled with rich literature, descriptive vacations around Sicily, and smoky rooms where bosses held Commission meetings. Just appreciate it as history.

So did I--an excellent read, thanks mostly to his co-author. Bonanno had the last laugh on his fellow Dons. Rudy Giuliani, when he was US Attorney for the Southern District of NY, read "A Man of Honor" [sic] and saw in Bonanno's description of the Commission a perfect example of a Racketeer Influenced Corruptl Organization as per the RICO Act. It resulted in the famous Commission case, which put Persico and two other Dons away with 100-year sentences.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.