Originally Posted by NickleCity
Ciment posted this Crime Hunter article: Don’t read mafia last rights just yet

That article said:

"We were a little too quick on the trigger to give traditional organized crime its last rites."

"Are we returning to the bad, bloody days of the Mafia"--with a picture of mob hit in upstate NY (Rochester Field) from 1970.

“There’s lots of moving parts in this mob war — a complex cast of characters from the GTA, Italy, USA, Mexico and Canada.”

“Dead? ...Not by a long shot."

Now compare that story to the previous one about Buffalo in May 2018 called: Buffalo Blues: Last rites for mob in queen city

Very similar titles: Seems like the author may be recanting his original story about Buffalo (even though it refers to mob worldwide as well) after Edwards recent piece. Is this article being referred to when Edwards wrote: “The mob in Buffalo isn’t dead, despite some media reports.”?

Nickle, regarding the part I put in bold:

With all due respect, I would say that you are reaching with that one. I did not see the word 'Buffalo' in that article once. Nor anything relating to Western New York, unless you count the unspecified ties that Iavarone allegedly had with Buffalo. I can see how you came to that conclusion that the author may be backtracking on his story, so I completely get your point of view, but it's dubious whether the author was recanting his original story or not.
As far as I can tell, that article (the Cochrane Times one) was one of many written about the Mafia in 2018 reacting to Gene Gotti's release, and it smartly tied in the developments north of the border too. That's my personal opinion, based on comparing the two articles.
Let me know if you disagree.