@Nickey
I've heard the point that US law enforcement is in a better position to know than Canadian law enforcement... I disagree there..

I think US law enforcement has better TOOLS ( like RICO) and experience to fight OC. But Canada has no RICO, low sentences for murder, ( huge incentive to not talk) and not that many rats, whereas NYC is compromised with Law enforcement. I don't think it's any surprise the rat in Canada, Morena came from the NY families.
( They still don't know who runs the west side, I doubt they know everything happening in Canada, which is where the action is if you are talking Buffalo...)

I think a major point here is that sort of like when Calabria says America, they mean Canada, when you say Buffalo, it might mean more Ontario/ Calabrian than Sicilians in Buffalo. I mean, Luppinos, Violis, Musitanos, all Hamilton based, what would the mob squad in NY have on these guys, if there are no rats?

In one of those articles, they mentioned some of the difficulties in making the case stemmed from having to work with all these different police in different jurisdictions. How many US agents speak Calabrian? Or familiar with the urban areas of Hamilton and Southern Ontario? They had to work with Mexico, the FBI, DEA.......

It takes a lot of coordination to make a case like this, lots of red tape probably.