Originally Posted by Sonny_Black
Originally Posted by antimafia
A Twitter user -- he and I follow each other -- speculated about the two crime groups that are at odds with each other. See https://twitter.com/donhanzel/status/1042814455715905536.

I think he's arguing that Domenico and Giuseppe Violi lost their backing from individuals in Buffalo because the Violis attended the Bonanno induction ceremony.

Not sure what that has to do with the murder of Angelo Musitano. Who is saying the Violis lost the backing of Buffalo? If anything, the Luppino-Violis as possible remaining Buffalo family members are enacting revenge for the murder of Papalia. That would make a lot more sense to me. Crazy to think the Musitanos are now allied with Buffalo members against the Violis.

The Twitter user knew of Peter Edwards' article about Iavarone's murder in which Edwards wrote about two organized-crime groups in conflict with each other. At this morning's press conference about the Musitano and Barberi murders, Sgt. Peter Thom spoke of two such groups without identifying them (was he talking about the same groups that Edwards wrote about?). The Twitter user doesn't advertise himself as any type of expert--neither do you nor I--so he has an opinion that is just as valid as mine or yours, which is that Violi's sons--regardless of whatever made status or associate status or family affiliation they have--were present at a Bonanno induction ceremony. What the fuck were they doing there? Are they Bonannos? Was the ceremony a joint Buffalo–Bonanno ceremony? If Violi's sons are 'ndrangheta members, did they once belong to a clan headed by their paternal grandfather in Parma, Ohio?

We don't have any evidence that the Luppino-Violi group consists of made members of the Buffalo Family--if they are, would that pad the total number of Buffalo Family members by two? by 15? Why do most posters on this organized-crime forum assume that the Luppinos and Violi's sons have historically been 'ndrangheta members? We don't have any evidence of their making ceremonies in an American LCN family, so we assume that the Luppino-Violi group is an 'ndrangheta group--I'm kind of okay with that because that's what I've believed forever but I would feel even better knowing that this could be confirmed or disconfirmed. And the presence of Violi's sons at the Bonanno ceremony possibly casts doubt on what crime group they have been made into.

Why should the Luppino-Violi group take it upon itself to avenge Papalia's murder 20 years later? Wouldn't Papalia's relatives have taken care of that? Papalia got along with Giacomo Luppino, but the history of the Hamilton underworld is littered with conflict between the three main groups (Luppino, Musitano, and Papalia). Hell, Papalia and the Musitanos both have ancestry from Delianuova in Calabria, and Pat and Angelo were behind the plot to murder Papalia, who incidentally was Pat's baptismal godfather.

Edwards's article about Iavarone's murder is interesting because the story mentioned that people behind Angelo Musitano's murder weren't made, thus making them vulnerable to attack by the opposing group that consists of made members. If the article is correct, then we can rule out the Musitano group and Luppino-Violi group being on the outs. If it's not correct, I would stick to what I believe, which is that the Musitano group and the Luppino-Violi group are still on good terms after many years (this was definitely not the case in the 1990s).

Last edited by antimafia; 09/21/18 05:24 PM. Reason: Three lines from the bottom, corrected the post to say "people behind *Angelo Musitano's