A lot of people who complain about the inaccuracies in mob movies typically complain about common movie tropes.

I remember one of the real FBI agents involved with the Pistone case complaining on Geraldo or some show back in the 90s about how Lefty really didn't get killed. He was accusing Hollywood of having some kind of agenda because of it. It was just a simple rewrite to make the story better. Sensationalism? Sure. It's called "show" business.

I disagree about the reasons for respectable actors avoiding Gotti. If that were the case, why would Pesci and DeNiro, and Scorsese, for that matter, do Goodfellas? Henry Hill was a creep and there was enough documentation even back then. The real family of "Spider" were out there protesting from the start. This kid was just at the social club making drinks and Tommy DeSimone savagely murdered him, then the rest of the guys buried him behind the building. Just imagine being a relative of his, and a movie comes out that merely makes Tommy DeSimone out to be nothing more than a lovable crook who just couldn't follow mafia rules. Spider's family insists to this day that he would have never gotten out of line with someone who was connected like that, least of all Tommy, who already had the reputation of a lunatic. In all likeliness, it was a thrill kill, and Jimmy Burke's crew covered it up because Tommy was one of his enforcers.

I think respectable actors and directors avoided Gotti because the script just wasn't interesting, and the Gotti story is played out. The most interesting take on the Gotti story came from Gravano's book, and even that ended up being a made for tv movie. The media had just worn out everything Gotti by the late 90s.

I don't think actors, even guys like Pesci who have a few "friends", care if the story has integrity. I don't think the mobsters themselves even care. As long as they get their cut when they're involved with production.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea