Originally Posted by Turnbull
Originally Posted by OakAsFan
According to Gianni Russo (Carlo in The Godfather) in the Godfather Legacy documentary, Vito is mostly based on Carlo Gambino. His control over judges and politicians is based on Frank Costello, and having an olive oil company is based on Joe Profaci.

Yes. And, wanting his son to succeed him was based on Joe Bonanno.

Puzo put all those Dons in Vito's character. I think he was most like Costello, who was called "The Prime Minister of the Underworld" because of his gambling-based position and his political clout. He also eschewed drugs, as did Vito.

Yes, his lecture to Solozzo about politicians and judges turning on them if they got into drugs was right up Costello's alley, and this was the line of his that would ultimately lead to his demise as an influential boss.

Good point about Bonanno. Puzo definitely works the Sicilian monarchy angle into his writing. It's evident in The Last Don, too. I think it borders on fascination and deviates from reality, as the mob has pretty much been an enterprise since the commission was formed, but it makes for great story telling no less.

I think Carmine Lupertazzi Jr. on the Sopranos was based on Bill Bonanno, too. I think his war with John Sack was partly based on Bill's war with the other faction of the Bonannos. Especially how it ends. Carmine realizing he's just not cut out for it when bodies start dropping, then goes mostly legitimate, getting into entertainment.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea