Originally Posted by TheKillingJoke
@ThePolakVet

Thanks for the intel. You're a lot more well versed in this subject than I am, seeing what I know is mostly based on the articles I can read.

If you would say that the Solntsevskaya is mostly a Russian gang, do you know how the current relations are with their Chechen, Georgian, Azeri and Armenian counterparts? I know they got some connections to the Georgians, but were feuding with the Chechens in the 90's. Probably that has cooled down nowadays.

Do you also happen to know what Ivankov's business in Brighton Beach was in the 90's? It's told he was sent by the Solntsevskaya and his activities mostly seemed to focus on the average rackets the Russian mob was pulling on the local Russian community back in the days - but were other local gangsters like Nayfeld and the like connected to Ivankov and the Solntsevskaya as well?

There's no doubt Russian OC is a powerhouse, but they seem to be much more low-key nowadays than they used to be.

The ethnic wars have stopped, currently there is not known big or open wars between large groups because of ethnic background. It's now more business interests or Thieves in Law clans fighting for power which is most common. The large groups have settled their business interests and everything is kind of already cut between these groups in the largest cities, as I said before - focus is more on earning money together rather than kill each other.

There are many speculations why Yaponchik was in the US. Some even absurd ones that Russian government sent him there. Basically, he was one of few Vory V Zakone who were located at that time in US. I guess his main business was to overlook other criminal groups and act as a judge between conflicts. Also to collect funds for the Obshak and look it over. Before his arrival, all these small Russian-Jew groups were out of control, it is said he kind of brought order in Brighton Beach and later even organized a shodka(criminal meeting) were it was discussed between ex-USSR crime group leaders of cutting territories in US. Nayfield had connections with Vory V Zakone, such as Aleksandr "Bor/Timoha Gomelskiy" Timoshenko(killed in 2014) who was in US, they are mentioned in a case together where some Efim Laskin was stabbed to death in New York. I guess if he was in contact with them, then he was connected to them. I doubt Nayfield was connected to Solncevskaya directly, maybe only trough Vory who he knew.

I strongly doubt that he ever was a send out from Solncevskaya, probably he worked together with them on some businesses or supported them. A Vor V Zakone cannot work for someone, it's against ponyatiya. And he was kind of to be one of the few who followed old traditions of Thieves in Law.

In US probably you're right about that they are low key. Most we hear is about medicare or credit card fraud, rarely some groups that engage into classic rackets like extortion or robberies. Back in Russia or other ex-USSR countries they hold the real power and presence.