Originally Posted by m2w
"I can't think of another country in the world where organized crime has achieved as much power as it has in Mexico," Aguayo said.

anyway i wonder how can the cartels control drug trafficking in a similiar situation, total chaos since 2006, if they were so organized they would able to stop this massacre, it's evident they are mostly disorganized, more similar to terrorists

The situation is very complicated even I can not know the degree it has changed or it is. A lot of it has to do with the Mexican government crackdown on the cartels with the help of the DEA targeting the bosses and kingpins. In short I think it's the lack of consolidation of the cartels in Mexico besides their strongholds. People have to remember that the cartels from now are not the same from the 90s or earlier. They have become fragmented in cities they don't control. The only cities they control 100% are the border towns and strongholds. I think Italy has avoided this bloodshed becaause the groups over there have a clear boundry of the territory of different criminal groups. In Mexico the cartels have expanded beyond their stronholds or border towns and because they didn't have enough time to "stronghold" themselves it has caused violence coupled with the DEA and Mexican government crackdown makes things worse and complicated.