Originally Posted by Moscone65
Underated: Vito Rizzuto. He helped turn a Canadian satellite crew for the Bonnano's into a powerhouse with global reach. If he wasn't imprisoned and later sick with cancer, I think the Rizzuto's would be in alot better shape. He was a tough guy killer when he was young, but also a diplomat when he was older, and that gave him alot of respect from everyone.

I agree and disagree, it is true that they elevated the mob in canada and Quebec especially, but how they did it is what I take issue with. They should have respected the established Cotroni borgata and worked with them instead of taking them out.. This move was characterized by greed and sectarian considerations(Cotronis were calabrese), and look where it landed them now, they're a basically defunct clan and at war with calabrian groups coming from Ontario, instead of sharing the power with other Italians to stay on top of the OC ladder.

Still not overrated though!

Most overrated:
Paul Castellano; I think he had the right things in mind pushing the mob to involve itself more in legitimate industries, but he wasn't streetwise enough and didn't earn the respect of the rank and file, I think it's clear he relied pretty much entirely on Gaggi and the Demeo crew to keep the rest of the family honest and once they were gone he was almost taken out at once. Also lots of - points for the relative carelessness with bugs and such.

Most underrated:
Carmine Galante; Controversial pick maybe? Here's a guy who by most accounts had seriously low IQ(I doubt the accuracy a bit but yea), and managed to run or at least participate in serious international transaction and was savy enough to impose himself despite spending a decade or more in jail, adn even managed in a couple of years to impose Bonnano rackets in Montreal while establishing a bridgehead there for the family.

Nick Scarfo: Pure cosa nostra, and while there may be some truth to the fact he was a psycho, he was successful in organizing fairly sophisticated rackets in AC and elsewhere, understood the importance of maintaining good ties to the NY mob, won an intra-family war, and on top of that he was by most accounts very successful at dodging the law trying to bug him or follow him around and his demise came on account of mostly informants which was quick becoming the norm in the mob.