Originally Posted by kingoflittlenewyork

Was Abe Reles being held under protection for a trial against Anastasia that I am unaware of? I mean he had already put his whole gang in jail, so why was Albert not included in this? I do know when Bugsy was indicted(the first time, for the Greenberg murder), Kid Twist was going to be the star witness. But the authorities in New York refused to send him to California for the trial. Then the authorities changed their minds and decided to go ahead and send him after charges were dropped against Siegal( Siegal's lawyer wanted to go ahead with the trial since the states case was so weak at this point).Bugsy gets re-indicted and then Reles gets thrown out the window. So was there a upcoming trial for Anastasia that I'm not aware of or was Reles going to be used at both trials?

It could be that his story was not as good under a lot of scrutiny. They may have been worried about how he would stand up under cross examination. The trip to California could have been a case of them fearing for his safety while out of their hands and in the hands of another police force. I believe Reles killed a lot of people, but never dealt directly with Lepke. I feel the tales of Anastasia using them to kill sound off since he had so many of his own killers, possibly he farmed out a few to the Brooklyn based Jewish gangs? How he died is a mystery too, various stories conflict each other. One version states that detectives found evidence of foot marks on the walls beneath his windows, the type that would be made by someone trying to scramble on a rope, have you or anyone else here ever heard that one?