Since the earlier posts in this thread were made (way back in 2005 - 2006), there has been a wealth of additional information available on the Net that, IMO, settles things once and for all about Louis’ Italian-American Restaurant, its location and history. So, let’s separate fact from fiction:

Fiction: The restaurant seen in the film was actually named Luna, or Luna Azure.

Fact: The name was always Louis, and it was not changed for GF1. The full name of the establishment was Louis’ Italian-American Restaurant. Check out this actual period photograph with NRA signs in the windows:

[Linked Image]

This NRA stood for the National Recovery Act (not the National Rifle Association), so that would put the date of the photo from mid-1933 to mid-1935, when the NRA was in effect.

[Linked Image]

Notice how the architecture in the period picture above matches the photo of Francis Ford Coppola taking a break during filming:

[Linked Image]

There was a Luna restaurant in GF1, but it was not the place where Michael shot Sollozzo and McCluskey; in a deleted scene (restored for the GF Saga and the GF Epic) this was where Clemenza took a long lunch (and got the cannolis) before Paulie was whacked (see photo).

[Linked Image]

Additional photos of actor Richard Castellano in front of the Luna Restaurant can be found in the book The Annotated Godfather by Jenny M. Jones, page 96. Neither restaurant’s name was altered for the film.

Fact: In an earlier post in this thread, Sicilian Babe noted that her uncle and his family lived directly above Louis' Restaurant, and the name was always Louis. (As I understand, the restaurant was closed by 1977.) Personally speaking, her word was good enough for me, but additional proof is always welcome for the purpose of this post.

Fact: A menu and wine list, circa 1923, still survives! (25 cents for a martini!!) As you can see, the name was always Louis, and note the address – 3531 White Plains Avenue, before the street was renamed White Plains Road. Now in the possession of the Natale family (their relatives owned the restaurant), check out these photos:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If you look closely at the menu's interior, you'll see that on the left-hand page, everything is in English; on the right-hand page, everything is in Italian.

[Linked Image]

And, now, for what I consider the absolute final word on the subject, you must read this:

Discussion of Louis' Restaurant on Chowhound (This is page 7 of a longer article, but the important stuff starts here, IMO.)

Many of the photos I posted here came from this article.

Conclusion: Based on all the proof available, the restaurant was, and always was until the day it closed: Louis' Italian-American Restaurant. (I know, I know… the 1930’s photo says Loui’s!)

I now step away from the arguing – that is, if there’s still anyone left who wants to argue. That being the case, I know a place where we can sit down and discuss this - and the veal is the best in the city. (Excuse me while I go to the bathroom… is that alright?) wink

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."