Time to add some new blood:

In 1931, while Universal Pictures was filming Dracula with Bela Lugosi in the day, a different cast and crew was simultaneously shooting a Spanish-language version on the same sets by night. (This was a fairly common practice in the early days of sound films.) If you like the Lugosi version, then this one (with Carlos Villarias as the Count) is a must-see. For years it was never shown in the US because one reel was missing (it was eventually discovered in Cuba; the film has a noticeable drop-off in quality at 19:25 and this lasts around 11 minutes). The director, George Melford, had the advantage of seeing "dailies" from Tod Browning's production and as a result, the Spanish Dracula has a better visual style in places. A longer running time is an advantage, too. (Spoiler: In the Lugosi film, Dracula bites Renfield in Transylvania, after shooing off his vampire brides. In the Spanish version, Drac stands by while the ladies attack.)

Anyway, the only drawback to the film (as I see it) is the sometimes over-the-top acting (by our definition) with special mention of some of the scenes involving Carlos Villarias. His leering and outright mugging at times reminded me of David Frye's impression of William F. Buckley, Jr. (There! I'm showing my age!)

[Linked Image]

That's Carlos Villarias in the photo above. Stop laughing, dammit! mad Yeah, I know, I know... but take my word for it - the film really is worth watching, and this guy ain't half-bad. Here's some trivia: Lugosi and Villarias wore the same artificial hairline for their roles! Both actors shared the same hairpiece (the full front hairline only) so the widow's peak could be made a little more pronounced. Since the "hairline extension" was designed and made for Lugosi, it was virtually undetectable on him, Not so, however, with Villarias. In some scenes it's a bit obvious.

Dracula is available free for viewing here. The film is a lot of fun, the print quality is great (except for that one reel) and even if you do not speak Spanish, I think you'll have no trouble following the story.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."