Originally Posted by NickyfromTampa
So, I'll be the one to mention it. A case like this, with a star cooperating witness, wiretaps, the works, and there was no mention or indication of any overarching secret criminal organization such as the Buffalo Mafia? Even though forum members allegedly with their ears to the streets said it was a classic mob bust through and through? Did I miss something indicating that it was?

@Nicky, thanks for the comment and question. You are right. In this trial there is no direct, non-circumstantial evidence to a covert criminal organization such as Cosa Nostra in Buffalo. So, perhaps, it was wildly irresponsible for me or anyone else to have made any suggestion that it was a possibility.

By the way I never indicated is was "a classic mob bust through and through." I believe I just inferred there was a possibility due to circumstantial evidence. I think I've been pretty clear that the things I reference do not prove the Buffalo Crime family exists. I understand and appreciate your "facts/newsource/LE" only approach. My main argument is that approach can and is, at times, insufficient as well.

What is clear is these crimes were typical of Cosa Nostra type activities. They were committed by a Buffalo developer/builder alleged to have ties to the Buffalo Crime Family going back 2 generations. Of course, these alleged ties were just street talk until Ron Fino, in his book The Triangle Exit, stated that he was told by Falzone that Frank Ciminelli (Louis' Dad) "answered," and that he (Fino) was instructed to leave his (Ciminelli's) companies alone because they were "connected. There was/is no direct, non-circumstantial evidence that has been presented to prove Fino's accusation either.

Circumstantially, Buffalo area lawyer William Ianaconne, whose cousin was a made man in Buffalo, also links Frank Ciminelli to the Buffalo Crime family. He has a picture that supposedly shows Frank laundering money in Reno with a Buffalo Crime Family drug trafficker named Napoli. Of course this is just street talk, and an unproven allegation.

Further, Louis Ciminelli (Frank's son) served as a trustee for long time mob controlled Local 210 in Buffalo. He is named along with Falzone and other Buffalo soldiers and associates in a RICO suite alleging misuse of pension funds.

However, it is important to note there are no known newspaper articles, police reports, arrests, indictments, or convictions related to Frank Ciminelli's involvement with the Buffalo crime family. Nor are there any articles, police reports, arrests or convictions indicating Louis Ciminelli was or is a member or associate of the Buffalo Crime Family. As far as we, legally, know Louis was a legitimate trustee of Local 210.

On another, but related, note it should be clarified that these articles never indicated Cuomo had any involvement with this corruption. The only accusations are against members of his staff/administration. There is ABSOLUTELY NO evidence that Cuomo sanctioned or even knew any of this was going on. I could totally see why someone would say that it would be irresponsible to suggest otherwise about Cuomo, because there is not sufficient evidence of it!

In fact, the only non-circumstantial evidence demonstrates the opposite. The evidence suggests Cuomo is a crusader against corruption. The fact is Cuomo established "The Commission to Investigate Public Corruption" in July 2013 after several NYS senators including the Speaker Sheldon were accused of wrong doing.

It should be noted that some questioned why Cuomo disbanded the commission a short time later when they and The Feds started looking at him and the Buffalo Billion Scandal. But the evidence points the other direction.

The facts is The Feds Preet Bharara closed the investigation into Governor Cuomo because there was NO EVIDENCE of obstruction of justice. Cuomo's lawyer, Elkan Abramowitz, stated: "We were always confident there was no illegality here, and we appreciate the U.S. attorney clarifying this for the public record." Here are a couple related articles:

FEDS CLOSE INVESTIGATION OF CUOMO KILLING ANTI-CORRUPTION COMMISSION
INSUFFICIENT EVIDENCE TO CHARGE CUOMO OF CORRUPTION

Here is a great article that provides a timeline with related NY TIMES articles about The Commission to Investigate Public Corruption's activity and lifespan:

SHORT LIFE OF ANTICORRUPTION COMMISSION

I personally believe there is a decent possibility that Cuomo is aware of and has been involved in this corruption, but the established facts and non-circumstancial evidence indicate I am wrong.

What is clear, NYS and some if its municipalities are incredibly corrupt (see my posts on Bufalino thread about Niagara County). This corruption could be an environment ripe for organized crime to flourish. But, you are right,there is no non-circumstantial evidence suggesting there is a connection to organized crime, like there is no evidence that Governor Cuomo is involved in any type of corruption or obstruction of Justice.

Last edited by NickleCity; 07/11/18 01:52 PM.