From the NY Post today, these public hits don't happen to often anymore.

A Bonanno crime family associate was critically wounded in an attempted hit steps away from his lavish Bronx home Wednesday morning, law enforcement sources told The Post.

Salvatore “Sally Daz” Zottola was shot multiple times — including once in the head and three times in the torso — when someone inside a dark Nissan sedan opened fire as he was walking to his car on Tierney Place near Longstreet Avenue in the Locust Point section of the borough around 6:40 a.m., sources said.

Zottola, 41, was rushed to Jacobi Medical Center in critical but stable condition, officials said.

The shooting suspect, described as an adult male, was spotted driving away from the crime scene, sources said.

Police recovered four shell casings at the scene.

There were no immediate arrests.

Neighbors on Tierney Place were not shocked by the gun violence.

“It’s not a surprise. Look at what he does for a living,” one woman said. “I can’t say any more. It’s not worth my life. It’s not worth my daughter’s life.”

Bonanno crime family boss Vincent “Vinny Gorgeous” Basciano, now serving a life sentence, once set up his mistress, Debra Kalb, in a Bronx home owned by Zottola, according to published reports.

"In onore della Famiglia la Famiglia e' aperta"