Well, the unions for one...building and contracting...as well as the usual mobbed up bars, restaurants, garages...etc...etc...
At their peak, they even managed to create an entire city (Las Vegas).
Sure, other criminal organizations are involved in political en legitimate businesses, but to the extent of the Mob? In an advanced society? I'm not sure about that.

That's not saying an average Italian-American criminal is more intelligent per se than an average African American, Russian...etc...etc...one. It's more of a "right time, right place" case when they rose to power.[/quote]

I give the labor unions as being LCN advantage bar none.
Building/contracting have and still being committed even by freelance racketeers.
Legit/Fronts businesses such as bars, clubs, restuarants, car washes, laundromats, auto shops, and clubhouses ( 1% clubs) had and currently involved a myriad of crime groups
Political corruption was rampant nationwide during LCN prime and crime groups took advantage from Jewish crime groups to Policy/Numbers operators and Bootleggers. Alongside came Bikers & Chicago Street Orgs as well.

Yes , I'm certain in an advance society there were other crime groups involved in legit establishments and corruption in their locale. It's just they're rooted in America not an offshoot of a foreign criminal association.

If you think you are too small to make a difference, you haven't spend the night with a mosquito.
- African Proverb