Originally Posted by Japseye1
Can anyone answer this about Mike Franzese , how was he made in 75 when the books were reopened in 76? I can only assume because of special status (father) and money making abilities am I right??

That is a question that has been discussed a lot. Especially over at the blackhand forum. There are a lot of people who think that 1976 is THE date no questions about it and anyone who says otherwise is full of it. Personally I haven't done enough research to determine if that is indeed true or not. Those who believe that may be true I don't know. I would love to read the information that says 1976 and nothing sooner. I'm assuming they're going by Mary Ferrell documents and are taking informants word as 100% fact.

I'm of the belief that if he says Halloween 1975 then fine 1975 it is. Why would he lie? Could he just be mistaken and forgot the year? Possible sure but it just seems to me that as important as that day is for a wiseguy he would know and remember.

The counter argument to that is that Vincent 'Fish' Cafaro claimed he was made in 1974 at I believe the El Cortez restaurant. (I think that's the name of it) and it was discovered by someone (I forget who) that the restaurant wasn't even open in '74 so he had to have mistaken the date so maybe Franzese simply is mistaken as well.

Anthony Casso claimed 1974. I've read Nino Gaggi was made in the 60's. I've read Jimmy Nap Napoli was made in the 60's but his son in his book said November 1976.

I just have a hard time believing that every family waited until the books were officially open. Like Junior Soprano said "We break more rules than the Catholic Church" Now I get that is fiction but I think the point is accurate. It's an interesting debate however you view it.