Originally Posted by WhackWhack
I need information regarding a Buffalo soldier who was a major heroin trafficker with ties to the pizza connection.

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/09/21/nyregion/major-heroin-ring-broken-federal-officials-say.html

This heroin ring was broken up in 1983 and it was the largest heroin seizure on record up to that time. What I want to know is how a mere soldier in a small family such as Buffalo had such a big role in that operation. This was surely done off the record considering the magnitude of $ involved and maybe it could have shed some light on how weak the admin in Buffalo has been since Magadinno died. I mean, if a guy is involved in a heroin ring bringing in millions a month profit and the admin isn't getting proper tribute without repercussion.

And this is from a 1998 Buffalo news article about Andrea Aiello and his ring.

"A Buffalo drug case offers an illustration. In 1983, the FBI raided a ceramic tile store on Delaware Avenue that was a front for high-grade heroin entering the United States inside wooden pallets. The man running the operation, Andrea Aiello, had ties to the Mafia families of New York City and Sicily and chose a lengthy prison sentence over cooperation with the FBI. But what made the case even more interesting was that Aiello was operating without the permission -- without even the knowledge -- of Buffalo's Mafia bosses."

So I need a real deal Buffalo mafia expert to fill me in on Andrea Aiello. He was a mere soldier yet got caught with $60 mil of heroin. Imagine how many successful shipments he received. Even guessing on the low end of one shipment a month...even if he kicked up 5% of that a month he would have been kicking up literally multi millions a year. He probably made more by himself from his heroin ring then the rest of the Buffalo family did make combined. So does anyone have any info on Andrea (Antonio) Aiello? I know he's been deceased for quite some time but his massive heroin ring fascinates me thaf he pulled that off without admin knowing.

I in no way consider myself a Buffalo expert, but this operation was code named BUSICO for Buffalo Sicilian Connection. Here is an AP article on it. BUSICO

Drug trafficking has always been the biggest money maker for Buffalo. Like all the other families the administration although encouraging drug trafficking had a rule that they would never support in any way a defense of someone caught. They shielded themselves from all connection to drugs.

Let me give you and example: Alberto Agueci. He was a Buffalo soldier from Canada that answered to Magaddino captain who headed his own small family in the GTA named Johnny "Pops" Papalia. The old article I will link in a moment, however, calls Papalia an associate of the Bonanno Crime family. However, it has become common knowledge that Johnny Pops, the enforcer, was a captain in Magaddinos ranks. This shows how tied in the Bonanno's and Buffalo were and probably still are in regards to trafficking from Canada. It, also, highlights the tensions as both families have vied for control of all of Canada. I posted an article earlier from Peter Edwards book that quotes Magaddino as stating Montreal was his house, and how upset he was that the Controni's didn't correct Bill Bonanno when he suggested it was controlled by Magaddino's cousin Joe Bonanno. Also, if you will recall Johnny Pops was hit in '97 as the Rizuttos (closely allied with the Bonanno's) where exerting control of drug trafficking in the Toronto area.

Anyway, back to Alberto Agueci who answered to Buffalo Canadian Captian Johnny Pops:

Alberto Agueci specialized in importing heroin from Sicily by hiding 10-20 kilo loads in the false bottoms of trunks and suitcases, while having them brought over by unsuspecting immigrants and vacationers who booked passage of their trip through a travel agency in Sicily, the owner of which was associated with Alberto Agueci.

The article goes to say what happened when he was arrested in the French Connection and it appeared he would give up Magaddino... because he would not support his legal defense so as to stay off the radar about the families involvement with drugs:

Buffalo Mafia Member Alberto Agueci threatened to break the Mafia’s code of silence by informing on his bosses about their involvement in an international heroin smuggling ring.

On Thanksgiving Day November 23, 1961 the body of Buffalo Mafia Member Albert Agueci 39, who was also known as “the Baker” of 21 Armitage Drive in Scarborough, Canada was found in a field near Rochester NY.

Over thirty pounds of flesh cut from his body, his limbs and jaw broken, and his teeth knocked out. A length, of clothesline was knotted around the neck, his hands were bound behind the back with barbed wire, his genitals had been hacked off and stuffed into his mouth. According to the coroner’s report, his fatal torture had been spread over a number of days. The body had been doused with gasoline and set afire. Grass and undergrowth were burned for a radius of 6 to 8 feet around him.

The Buffalo family was still very violent in the late 70's and early '80's. I can't help but wonder if this incident was in the back of Anthony Aiello's head and that is why he didn't talk and give up Johnny Pops and others in leadership in Buffalo. I don't think for a second the administration did not know about the drug trafficking . Buffalo, has always played a major role in this drug trafficking network. In 83, Johnny "Pops" was probably in charge of this operation for Buffalo. Yes, their were were likely 2 faction vying for control of the Buffalo family: Pieri and Todaro... According to the Feds Todaro wasn't in full control and hadn't fully united the family till 84 or 85. So maybe that confusion helped them not get tied to all of this. But they still new what was going on and I am sure Pops was kicking up to the administration--whoever was in control in '83.

In my book, it also goes to show you just how strong and quiet the Canadian factions of the Buffalo family have been and may continue to be.

Here is the article on Agueci from Buffalo Police Then and Now: Agueci Drug Trafficker Tortured

Last edited by NickleCity; 06/13/18 06:00 PM.