Originally Posted by MightyDR
Originally Posted by NickyfromTampa
Also, I would like to add that the Colombo Bros. (the sons of Joseph Colombo Sr.) left the family following the Orena war, because they refused to come back into the fold. This was detailed in their March 2004 indictment. They had some impressive rackets going on in Manhattan and upstate NY, including pretty sophisticated construction shakedowns. According to Gang Land News, they also had sitdowns with other families over gambling & loansharking turf, despite being shelved by the Persico admin. All I'm saying is, if they could do all that as an independent entity, imagine what they could achieve with the blessing and support of the entire crime family. Since Anthony Colombo, the eldest son, was the de-facto capo of the shelved Colombo Bros. crew in the '90s, I assume he'd be a capo if Orena had been able to peacefully get the 'boss' title.

Didn't know the Colombo bros were still going that strong so recently. Thanks Nicky.

I would guess that the family would be in much better shape if Persico stepped down and Orena became the official boss with the war being avoided. Most likely there would be a lot more "talent" left alive and out of prison in the Colombo family. However, the feds were still on their case so a lot of people would still go down. First of all Vic Orena. He was convicted in 1992 of a murder unrelated to the Colombo War.

Very good point about Vic Orena’s bust.

And regarding the Colombo Bros., Chris Colombo fought the trial, got a split verdict, and then retired from organised crime with a low-budget TV show and interviews about his life. Anthony Colombo moved to LA and also retired, as well as writing a book about who really killed his father. He died last year.
Gerry Clemenza, a soldier and member of the Colombo Bros. Crew, spent a few years in prison and has been all quiet since. One thing to mention is that Clemenza was doing exceptionally well financially at the time of his bust, and was a country club member, high-roller gambler, and showbiz socialite according to Jerry Capeci.