Originally Posted by WhackWhack
What I find the Colombos to be clowns and hypocrites. Junior Persico is keeping the throne of the Colombo borgata for his own family. This isn't a monarchy. I can't believe the Colombo soldiers would comstantly eat **** from Carmine barking orders from California. This thing doesn't pass from father to son, it should be the best man for the job.

Could you imagine if Carlo Gambino on his deathbed instead of the original mistake he made, what if he made his son Thomas the new boss? $ wise it isn't comparable, Tommy Gambino made Little Allie Boy look like a corner store hustler. But don Carlo realized at least somewhat that you can't let nepotism go fully to your head.

But my whole point was that ok, let's say the Persicos want to treat their borgata like a monarchy. Well what about Sally Profaci? The son of the founder. He was backing Vic Orena on the wire tap. He wasn't backing himself because his father was Joe Profaci and that since his father was boss that now he should be. What I don't understand is how did Persico win the war? Was it all due to Scarpa and DelVechio? Selwyn Raab made it seem that out of the 125 Colombo button me, 4/5ths were pro Orena. And the other 1/5th backing Persico were literally just his blood relatives. How did he maintain control?

The best way to put it would be to say the FEDS won that war.

But essentially, the Persicos were the last men standing because the Persico men went on the run for a few years, and were therefore able to (in a limited capacity) interact with their street soldiers. Many say that DeVecchio tipped Scarpa off, who tipped his other men off, which led to them going on the lam. Meanwhile, Vic's guys didn't get to lam it. So all of the top brass of the Orena side were behind bars, and the Persico side were still holding regular meetings (according to Larry Mazza), not mention the fact that (possibly due to Scarpa again), many of the young Scarpa hoods were still out on the streets. Johnny Pappa, Eric Curcio, Fat Larry Sessa, Fat Danny Capaldo, Larry Mazza, Jimmy Del'Masto, Larry Fiorenza, Tommy McLaughlin, Tommy Gioeli, Dino Calabro, Dino Saracino, Joey Caves, Dean Gargagliano, Joey Brains, Frankie Blue Eyes, Joe Saverese(?), Big Anthony Russo, Big Frank Guerra were all on the streets in 91' and '92, and they were out every day looking for victims. I think Fiorenza, Mazza, Del'Masto, Joey Brains, and Frankie Blue Eyes were indicted as the war was coming to a close, but that still left a lot of heavy hitters on the street to finish the job.