Originally Posted by furio_from_naples
Originally Posted by Slimshady
Lets imagine that in 1991 Carmine Persico steps down as boss of the colombos, giving the official boss position to vic orena. With that happening and the third colombo war being avoided, what would u imagine happen with the colombos?

Twelve people, including three innocent bystanders, died in this gang war, and 18 associates have never been seen again.More than 80 made members and associates from both sides of the Colombo family were convicted, jailed or indicted. 

The Colombo under Orena wouldn't be kicked out of Commission and can continue bussiness with the other families and Orena would made new members so the family could have almost 150 made men and a nj crew.
I dont think that Persico would out like Furnari because he is a boss.

No, because Slim specifically said "what if Carmine Persico steps down as boss of the colombos"

Also, I sort of disagree. Every family in the 1990s ended up suffering APART from the Bonannos, probably due to:
1. The Bonannos were the only family without a dedicated FBI squad (remember it was disbanded when the Bonannos were kicked off the Commission)
2. The family spent the 80s and early 90s avoiding other families, and therefore they weren't taken down by the OTHER families' rats and investigations.
3. Joe Massino was a really smart guy.

The Colombos still had a dedicated FBI squad on their ass, so they would probably go the way of the other three families. Also, they have always worked with other families, so other investigations would continue to hurt them. Vic Orena... he's smart, sure, but I don't know if he's in the same league as Joe Massino. The Orena faction was responsible for some huge fuckups and lost despite the overwhelming numbers advantage, which wasn't entirely his fault, but still.

Also, the Colombos were at 101 made members in 1987. That decreased after the war because they were barred by the Commission for making new members.
I think that to assume the Colombos would have gone from 101 members to 150 members (which is, according to Al D'Arco, the families' cap), is a bit of a stretch considering all other families (except the Massino family) were hurting for numbers in the 1990s because of the multitude of problems that the 90s presented.

But, yes, I 100% agree their NJ crew would still be active, and I also believe they would still have a presence in Queens, unlike today where their present is diminished (albeit still there).

The Colombos today are very centralized, and very concentrated in Brooklyn (Long Island, Staten Island and Florida to a lesser extent). Andy Russo's reign proves how centralized it is. Regular capos' meetings and various crew members and capos intermingling much more than I've seen for the other families.

Meanwhile, I think with Vic Orena, it would be a bit more branched out across Brooklyn, Staten Island (the Amatos would probably be stronger because they were SI-based Orena guys), Long Island (Franzese would be active either way), New Jersey (Sal Profaci, Tom Petrizzo, etc.), Queens (Joe Scopo, Ralph Lombardo, Joe Baudanza), and Florida (Tom Farese). Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing is up to interpretation.

I think the one good thing about the Persico's extended family in charge is that they don't rat. Look at Teddy Persico Jr. The guy has spent pretty much his entire life in the can and never ratted. Little Allie Boy spent huge stretches in prison. Teddy Persico Sr. The Russo Boys (JoJo and Chucky).

This is all speculation, so it's not like there is any way of proving what I've said.