Originally Posted by Turnbull
Originally Posted by BlackFamily
I wanted to share some of my favorite songs for Black Music Month.

Little Milton

BF, thanks for that excellent blues. The only song I remember of Little Milton's was "We're gonna make it."

TIS, a big part of Berry Gordy Jr.'s Motown genius was that he didn't want the music he produced to be pigeonholed or stereotyped as "Soul," or "R&B," etc.--which would have shunted it off to the ghetto of mainstream pop music. Instead, he billed Motown as "the music of young America," which included everyone, not just blacks. Motown's artists and their music were unmistakably rooted in urban R&B, but everyone could enjoy and relate to it. To his solid rhythm section he added strings and horns. He also had a dance coach for his male acts (as in "The Temptation Walk") and a finishing school for his female acts.

I never really knew for instance, if people like Bob Seger and Mitch Ryder (another of my favorites) was considered "Motown" because their "sound" was different from the others.

Re: the Temptations walk. Yes I picture them in their peach colored suits, lacey shirts....smooth as silk. LOL Btw, if I may rant on. One of the best instrumental (IMHO) openings to a song is the Temps "Papa Was A Rolling Stone." You just gotta get on your feet.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon