Originally Posted by 2a
Originally Posted by BlackFamily
Originally Posted by 2a

Yes that is correct , however said cartels very much exercise a great deal of ( indirect ) influence via their domination of wholesale trade . After all they could apply a great amount of pressure on low level organized crime groups engaged in drug trafficking , by threatening to cut off the supply of drugs , either by telling the middlemen that they won't be getting any more product if they don't talk some sense into retailers or in a more direct way by telling the retailers directly ( though the former is probably more likely to occur than the latter ) .

How would it benefit the cartels to cut off the supply and receive no money? Their supply flow into the US and cash money flow out of the U.S. The issues between various groups at the retail level is no concerned to the cartel. They have enough to deal with conflicts back in mexico and there's nothing to gain financially being a peacemaker in the U.S.

And as an aside I meant wholesale trade when I typed the only game in town . Of course there are places in the US where lower level gangs can buy ( to use a good example ) heroin from non Mexican cartel suppliers who also obtain their supply from non Mexican cartel sources all the way up the line , but to my understanding such places are more the exception than the rule .

The Northeast, Florida, and specific Metros such as Detroiit for example have DTOs operating at the wholesale level in partnership with mexican cartels or different cartels ( such Carribean traffickers) altogether. The mexican cartels are the predominate wholesale suppliers throughout the U.S not the only suppliers.

Of course correct me if I'm wrong but to my knowledge Colombian and Dominican OC groups have little presence outside of the Northeast and Asian OC groups generally don't operate outside of cosmopolitan cities/metro areas .

Florida wholesale drug trade is supplied by predominantly Carribean DTOs and locals with a small presence from Mexican cartels. Asian DTO traffick in even small cities like Biloxi, Mississippi. Asian traffickers generally blend in with any asian enclave in the U.S.

I ( admittedly ) know little about Nigerian groups , but they seem to be much bigger players in Europe than over in the States . I mean I don't even recall them being mentioned in the DEA's latest national drug threat assessment .

The DEA havr mentioned Nigerian groups several times in the heroin trade. Mainly Chicago, Baltimore, DC, and Houston are some of the first cities that come to mind involving Nigerian DTOs. At one point in time Nigerian DTOs was supplying 40% of the heroin market in Chicago during the 80s or so according to the Chicago's DEA office.

Originally Posted by BlackFamily
Originally Posted by 2a

Yes that is correct , however said cartels very much exercise a great deal of ( indirect ) influence via their domination of wholesale trade . After all they could apply a great amount of pressure on low level organized crime groups engaged in drug trafficking , by threatening to cut off the supply of drugs , either by telling the middlemen that they won't be getting any more product if they don't talk some sense into retailers or in a more direct way by telling the retailers directly ( though the former is probably more likely to occur than the latter ) .

How would it benefit the cartels to cut off the supply and receive no money? Their supply flow into the US and cash money flow out of the U.S. The issues between various groups at the retail level is no concerned to the cartel. They have enough to deal with conflicts back in mexico and there's nothing to gain financially being a peacemaker in the U.S.

And as an aside I meant wholesale trade when I typed the only game in town . Of course there are places in the US where lower level gangs can buy ( to use a good example ) heroin from non Mexican cartel suppliers who also obtain their supply from non Mexican cartel sources all the way up the line , but to my understanding such places are more the exception than the rule .

The Northeast, Florida, and specific Metros such as Detroiit for example have DTOs operating at the wholesale level in partnership with mexican cartels or different cartels ( such Carribean traffickers) altogether. The mexican cartels are the predominate wholesale suppliers throughout the U.S not the only suppliers.

Of course correct me if I'm wrong but to my knowledge Colombian and Dominican OC groups have little presence outside of the Northeast and Asian OC groups generally don't operate outside of cosmopolitan cities/metro areas .

Florida wholesale drug trade is supplied by predominantly Carribean DTOs and locals with a small presence from Mexican cartels. Asian DTO traffick in even small cities like Biloxi, Mississippi. Asian traffickers generally blend in with any asian enclave in the U.S.

I ( admittedly ) know little about Nigerian groups , but they seem to be much bigger players in Europe than over in the States . I mean I don't even recall them being mentioned in the DEA's latest national drug threat assessment .

The DEA havr mentioned Nigerian groups several times in the heroin trade. Mainly Chicago, Baltimore, DC, and Houston are some of the first cities that come to mind involving Nigerian DTOs. At one point in time Nigerian DTOs was supplying 40% of the heroin market in Chicago during the 80s or so according to the Chicago's DEA office.

I'm not aware of Mexican cartels having assumed the role of peacemaker in the US either , however a ( hypothetical ) brutal turf war in the US could force them into that role . After all such a conflict could result in making it harder for said cartels to move their product into their area and so forth . Which would naturally result in them having a vested interest in brokering such a peace .

That is certainly correct . For what it's worth , I never claimed that Mexican cartels are the only wholesale suppliers of drugs in the US , however their position of being the predominate suppliers results in them having a lot of ( mainly ) indirect influence . It's highly unlikely that any of the cartels would exercise their power by directly warning lower level DTO's to calm down or what have you . In all likelihood it would be the middlemen telling the retailers to try and cool it , while hinting at the possibility of supply falling off .

It's definitely an easier task to source heroin and methamphetamine without going through the cartels at some level , however the same is not true of cocaine . Of course one can do so via Colombian channels , but the point I was trying to make is that even those retail heavy DTO's that ( say ) buy cocaine from Atlanta based American traffickers are indirectly buying from Latin American traffickers , since virtually every gram of cocaine trafficked in the US ultimately originates from Latin American traffickers . Then again there is the possibility of the ultimate source of origin being a Latin American based Ndrangheta clan , but the current activities of those fellows in the US is next to unknown , so I rest my case .

Yes I have seen those reports as well , though Nigerians seem to be absent of mention in the latest DEA threat assessment . Anyways I think it's safe to say that they have little presence in much of the American heartland , which makes them have less influence in the country as a whole .

Anyways I don't really have more to say and this has been a productive exchange so that's about all on my part .

The hypothetical brutal war is much more a reality in case of drug related business. It's been going on and off throughout the U.S retail market. It haven't interrupted the cartel's business. No different when cuban and columbian traffickers were gunning each other down in Miami.

Middleman could possibly hint at that but face the risk of being killed themselves.

The meth trade in the U.S have become more focus on receiving it from the cartels than production. Undoubtedly true in cocaine trade with alternatives being Carribean connection. Who's to say it's not from a Latin American Nigerian Syndicate.

Nope. Nigerian Syndicates activities been heavy in the U.S since the mid to late 70s along with their other prime racket : Frauds/Scams.

Good discussion with you as well.

If you think you are too small to make a difference, you haven't spend the night with a mosquito.
- African Proverb