Originally Posted by OakAsFan
The immigrants moving in today are experiencing tenfold the challenges that immigrants of centuries' past have, especially in the Zenophobic Trump era. As far as Italians keeping the neighborhood clean or whatever, they had the unique privilege of being second and third generation residents of these working class areas just as the prosperous 20th century was taking hold. Massive government spending on basic services and maintenance in working class areas like Brooklyn during the New Deal years, along with district green lining by banks were privileges that the European immigrants of the 20th century enjoyed. Not only are these privileges non existent to today's immigrants, they weren't even available in the New Deal years to people of color.

Are you out of your gender neutral, cultural marxist, postmodernist mind?

Off the top of my white priviledged head: Polio, Frank McCourt's 3 dead siblings (in 1940's Brooklyn, well after the New Deal), no heat in winter, no refrigeration, no health insurance,"shape up" jobs, draft riots (civil war era), race riots (every fucking weekend thereafter) and murder rates in the thousands per year (2500 shootings in NYC in 1993) compared with a couple hundred in 2018.

Now as I am familiar with social services in both NYC and Nassau, since my youth was quite likely not even close to yours, I'll tell what modern immigrants receive:

In Nassau: A free smartphone, interpretation services, hotel stays for homeless families, shelters for single men, job placement, cash assistance, SNAP benefits, alcohol/drug counseling, career counseling, legal aid, fair hearings, WIC benefits (woman with infant child), restaurant vouchers, EEOC laws, countless nonprofit resources (including some that dole out free metrocards), medicaid, medicare (including MRI's and other astronomically expensive procedures not available in previous years), and HOSPITALS THAT MUST SERVE EVERY EMERGENCY ROOM VISITOR REGARDLESS OF CITIZENSHIP OR INSURANCE STATUS (aka: free health care for those too stupid to show up at DSS).

Not to mention immigrants keep pouring in from the Soros-sphere. People run FROM oppression, not TOWARDS it.

I know you liberals you've had a rough go of things lately, what with all the Jordan Petersons and Sam Harris's running around, but please go back to your cry closet/safe space/rent controlled luxury apartment. I'll be on the bus as usual watching grown men play video games on their free phone.