In the opening, Demaris claims that if he found out Frattiano was lying about one single detail, everything was off. Who knows how genuine this disclaimer was? Demaris seems to have a pretty good reputation as a crime writer. Frattiano seems to involve himself in way too many historical events. Almost Forrest Gump-like. I'm at the part about Siegel's death now, and I just have a tough time believing that he was Frankie Carbo's wheel man. In fact, Carbo being the shooter has been widely disputed over the decades. Anyhow, it's hands down the best book about the west coast mob. The book about San Francisco a couple of years ago was atrocious.

I've been meaning to check out Cohen's auto-bio, too. There's copies on Amazon for around $12. At least there were the last time I looked. His book had been heavily criticized for leaving out a ton of things he was involved in. He had no immunity from prosecution. Could have been hauled in for writing anything incriminating. Still want to give it a shot, though. I mean, it's a damned book by Mickey Cohen. How bad could it be?

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea