Originally Posted by OakAsFan
[quote=Irishman12]If that's the case, what about my pursuit of happiness if I'm too afraid somebody might mug/rob/assault me on a train to New York City to visit for the day?

You're not pursuing happiness if you're pursuing an activity in which you anticipate being mugged.

"However, the pursuit itself is denied if one is constantly intimidated by right wing extremists in their community wielding assault weapons."

Just walking down the street, minding my own business. Perhaps doing a little sightseeing. And as you said in your own words, the pursuit itself is denied if one (in this case, me) is constantly intimidated by those who might mug/rob/assault me.

The student loans are federal. They cannot be forgiven, even in cases of bankruptcy. The only way they're off the books is if they're paid in full, or I die before then. Sounds like slavery to me.

It sounds like debt.

Yes, and I was referring to debt as a form of modern day slavery.

Slavery to the system. Taxes as well.

Never heard of any form of slavery that actually provides the slave with services without forced labor as a trade off. You must feel really oppressed when the fire department saves your house, or when you use a freeway.

Not really. Just when these debts follow you around continuously, even going so far as to garnish wages (not my own, but it is an option they have). What services are they providing by giving the money to foreign governments? And don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating to not pay your debts. But when I personally know someone who's monthly student loans are at least twice my monthly rate and almost as much as my rent, yeah, that's a problem. And you can say that it was my choice to go to college and get these student loans and I'd say you're absolutely correct. However, in this country, those who have college degrees usually go further in terms of salary and jobs.