Originally Posted by OakAsFan
[quote=Irishman12]So the NRA and right wing media are responsible for Parkland?

I said culpable, which means they share some blame. How could anyone argue against this? The NRA is now a far right propaganda machine that spreads outrageous conspiracy theories. Many mass shooters, including Nikolas Cruz, were influenced by the hard right propaganda that the NRA helps spread.

It's easy how anyone can be against this. The NRA is an group who advocates for citizens to have the right to bear arms. They didn't fund, help prepare or personally arm Nikolas Cruz. What about all the kids who bullied and tormented this kid? They share more of the blame than the NRA does.

when a drunk driver kills someone, we blame the driver.

This is because a car serves multiple purposes. A gun kills, and nothing else.

It still can be used as a weapon.

So then why when a mass shooting happens, like Parkland or Las Vegas, we blame the tool used and not the shooter? It's such a double standard and just the liberal media pushing forward their anti-gun agenda.

This is an example of some of the NRA propaganda I was talking about. People like Nikolas Cruz believed this.

Because it's the truth. If he had used a knife rather than a gun, would you be advocating for a ban on any and all knives? Probably not.

Some gun reform is taking place actually. States and stores are raising the minimum age limit from 18 to 21 (Wal-Mart). Some stores are even refusing to carry assault-style weapons (Dick's Sporting Goods).

Thanks to activism and boycotts. No thanks to the gun lobby itself, which is still fighting tooth and nail to overturn these measures.

The NRA may be fighting it. Doesn't mean that gun reform still isn't taking place.

The problem with gun control is it's a slippery slope.

Gun control isn't the problem. Mass shootings are.

FINALLY! Something we can agree on.

If the next mass shooter

Now, you finally see what the problem is. You seem to know this is a problem. You're intimating there will be another mass shooting soon.

I never said there wasn't a problem with mass shootings. What I said was you can't throw away the whole barrel for a few bad apples. Take a look at the number of gun owners in this country vs the number of mass shooters. It's pretty small. Also, more Americans die of heart disease, obesity or drunk drivers than from mass shootings. Where's your advocacy for them?

uses a shotgun or pistol, then do we ban those as well?

We'll discuss that when they do. In the meantime, the AR-15 seems to be the weapon of choice.

Already did. Ever hear of the YouTube shooter?

The founding fathers put the second amendment in place for private citizens to protect themselves, against anyone (criminals or their own government).

They also put Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness in the Declaration of Independence. How could citizens pursue happiness when they have crazy neighbors walking around with assault weapons?

Yes, the pursuit of happiness. The pursuit of happiness is not a guarantee. I don't know what liberal utopia you live in but I live in the real world. And in the real world, I'd rather have a gun to protect mine than be without. Perhaps move out of Oakland if you have "crazy neighbors walking around with assault weapons." Also, pretty sure just walking around with assault weapons is illegal. You can own them within the confines of your home but I bet your neighbors ain't going grocery shopping with them.

I don't trust my own government to not enslave us further

You're not a slave.

Debt isn't a form of slavery? Student loans, car loans, mortgages? What would you call it?

Look over the course of history for every country, not just the USA, who have placed a ban upon gun ownership,

There are actually several countries with more gun control than us where the average citizen has a better quality of life than they do here.

This has to be one of the biggest lies spread by right wing propagandists like the NRA, that banning assault weapons results in tyranny. It's having them that will eventually result in it.

"Better quality of life" is subjective to the individual. And I didn't say banning assault weapons results in tyranny. I said banning all weapons. And let me answer your already queued up rebuttal: again, if your type of gun control passes, I don't believe it'll stop at just assault weapons. So yes, with a complete ban on all firearms, tyranny reigns.

Only the law abiding citizens will be the ones to get squeezed (with more gun control).

If this is true, then it would seem that the problem is with law enforcement.

There's not currently a problem with law enforcement now?