Originally Posted by mustachepete
I've mentioned before, the book contains parallel experiences for Vito and Michael:

Michael, in the hospital: "For the first time since it had all started he felt furious anger rising in him, a cold hatred for his father's enemies."
Vito, after accosted by Fanucci: "But at that time all he felt was an icy rage that this man planned to rob him of the money he had risked his life and freedom to earn."

I think that feeling of cold anger or rage is the call to "one destiny" for both men. The book, though, contains multiple hints that Michael is essentially the second coming of his father, and I don't think the movie is necessarily committed to that notion .

Well, essentially, I agree with you. As I've opined in other threads, Michael had his father's intelligence (as the novel states), but he lacked his father's ability to make friends, to endear people to him. I don't imagine that any baker was going to donate pies to Michael's sponsored festivities like Nazorine donated to Connie's wedding. Michael was not as prone to violence (as a first choice) like Sonny was, but, as you point out, he felt the rage. I think it manifested itself (though disguised) toward Geary at and after the Communion meeting with him.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."