Originally Posted by Lana
Vito never wanted this for Michael yet Vito coached Michael to be the Don

Vito planned all the dirty work, killing of Carlo Rizzi and Moe Greene, the baptism murders for Michael to carry out after Vito's death thus leaving a murderous legacy for Michael

Vito could have handed the family business to Clemenza & Tessio and let Michael try to start a new life, away from this

Well, Vito had the choice to let Michael go and live his life, even a political career [if may still possible] away from this but dragged Michael into the crime business anyway

What was really Vito's wish for Michael indeed

Fair points, Lana.

You could argue that all of the things you cite were done after Michael killed McCluskey and Sollozzo, at which point Vito knew there was no legitimate path for Michael (hence his anger when being told about that in his sickbed).

Vito's actions towards Michael are somewhat contradictory. I feel that Michael was always Vito's favorite and he sincerely "never wanted this" for Michael. But he also isn't exactly supportive of Michael straying too far from the Family (joining the army, having an "American" girlfriend).

That's part of what makes the hospital scene at Vito's bedside so poignant. Is Vito's tear when Michael tells him "I'm with you now" one of happiness or sadness? I think some of both.

Vito says in the novel that a man has but one destiny. I think he ultimately accepted that Michael's was to succeed him as Don.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"