"The fumbling Lucchese administration." - No. This chain of command is what the mob has been doing for years?

Originally Posted by Neo
I'm just highlighting the bad decision making of the Lucchese administration and their handling of the Meldish hit.

In regards to Crea Sr getting his son involved in the Meldish hit, it seems like a foolish move for a father to order his own son to carry out a hit which could get the son life without parole, especially in this day and age with so many guys willing to flip as soon as they get jammed up.

Again, it's obvious why you "keep it in the family." It's a lot rarer for wiseguys to flip on their father/son as opposed to a capo with no familial relations. Crea Sr. gave the contract to his son because his son would obviously be most reliable, trustworthy person to give it to.

Originally Posted by Neo

Madonna orders Crea Sr to take care of it, Crea Sr gives the contract to his own son and his son gives the contract to two of his crew members. Now five guys are involved in the murder and that means five potential informants. How many fucking guys does it take to pull a fucking trigger? These mobsters keep handing hit contracts down the line so much that it passes through 5-10 fucking people before it gets to a trigger man.

I-N-S-U-L-A-T-I-O-N. It's not a new concept. It's what the mob has been doing for years. What's the point of being the boss if you still have to whack guys yourself?
You think Matty Madonna, an 82-year-old man, would whack Meldish himself? Do a drive-by on his house, and pull the trigger? He's a fucking geriatric. Give me a break.

Originally Posted by furio_from_naples
Meldish was a stone cold killer so maybe Crea jr thinked that its better to don't risk his life and pass the contract to his crew members.

No, Furio, it's because Crea Jr. is a capo, and capos generally don't commit hits themselves. Chain of command. It's not a new concept.
Originally Posted by Neo
Originally Posted by furio_from_naples
Meldish was a stone cold killer so maybe Crea jr thinked that its better to don't risk his life and pass the contract to his crew members.

Originally Posted by Neo

I'd rather do the hit myself than have two guys do the hit and get caught then rat me out, or rat me out 10-20 years from now when they are facing heavy time for other stuff.

Except neither Londonio or Caldwell have ratted anyone out (yet). So throw that argument out the window.
I have news for you. If you order an underling to commit a hit, you can generally get away with a 15 year plea deal, due to the fact that you're guilty of "murder conspiracy" as opposed to first-degree murder or whatever. If you commit the murder yourself, and pull the trigger, you're looking at life.
And what the fuck do you except Madonna or Crea Sr. to do? The way the hit went down implies that Meldish wasn't looking to attend any meetings, so they whacked him outside his house. Madonna & Crea Sr. are geriatrics, their reflexes aren't so slow, their eyesight probably isn't too good, their hand-eye coordination probably isn't too good. This isn't an unfair assumption, due to their age. What's the bet that, due to all of this, Meldish would be able to get the better of them and return him? Or, even if they do whack him, what's the bet that, due to all of the reasons I outlined, they'll do something wrong and accidentally leave evidence? Then you've got a life sentence for first-degree murder-in-aid-of-racketeering.
If you ORDER a hit, and it passes through the rigors of a chain-of-command, you've insulated yourself to point where it is very hard for the feds to make a case against you. I don't know exactly how they pinched Madonna and Crea Sr., but I can tell you that it's not their fault the hit was solved so quickly. Caldwell and Londonio fucked up big time, they used their own fucking car and hung around the scene for ages before and after, they managed to tie Caldwell's cellphone records to the scene, they caught Londonio a week beforein a car with a shit-ton of guns. Those two are dimwits, and they are the reason the hit was solved. That was most likely an oversight on Crea Jr.'s part. It doesn't indicate a "fumbling administration."
Originally Posted by Neo
[quote=MightyDR]Sounds like standard chain-of-command for a mob hit. I wouldn't think 82 year old Madonna would pull the trigger himself. Or any boss for that matter. I can't remember too much of the details from the case. How did they all get indicted for the hit?

Basciano allegedly went trigger man himself for his own hits as Acting boss because he couldn't trust anyone.

Not true. If you knew anything about Basciano, you'd know that he ordered hits through the standard chain-of-command just like bosses before and after him.

Originally Posted by sittite
That all go down on conspiracy-no???

Yep. And conspiracy is far better than first-degree murder. Hell, if Madonna keeps himself up with a good diet and exercise in the can he can probably even make it out alive, same with Crea Jr.