I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE

This film, not only being controversial for many reasons, but is also difficult to watch. While the subject matter is nothing to praise, I at least give credit to Director Meir Zarchi for his honest account and portrayal of a woman, played by Camille Keaton, who is repeatedly raped by 4 locals when she ventures off for a summer at a cabin to write her novel. Many view this as filth and exploitation while some commend it for its feminism. It at least gives the audience the chance to think where they feel it belongs without the director giving us his opinion or forcing his upon us. A lot of respect to the cast and crew who shot this as a few people did quit the production due to the violence portrayed. Also, this was shot in 1978 and with a low budget, meaning only one camera was used and the rape scenes had to be filmed multiple times from different angles. In addition, I appreciate the fact very little music is used in the film, rather leaving the characters and the audience left with the tranquility of silence that nature provides, while at the same time, reminding us just how alone this girl is. Again, this is not a film for everyone but I appreciate the honestly it provides as something as selfish and hideous as rape should not be glamorized on the big screen like it has so many times before and since this film's release. 6/10

ACRIMONY

Don't even waste your time, unless you want to spend 2 hours listening to Taraji P. Henson complain for the entire film about how she was fleeced by her ex-husband. The premise of the story follows Taraji as she's in a therapy/anger management session telling us how she came to be in that office. She talks about her ex-husband and how they met in college and she supported him financially (her mother recently died so she came into a little bit of money as a result). He was working on his invention for their entire relationship (18 years later) and she finally divorces him after suspecting him of cheating. Once his invention takes off after their divorce and he's newly engaged to the woman he was suspected to cheat with, Taraji comes out of the woodwork wanting her cut. I've only seen Taraji in PROUD MARY and this and while she did a decent job with this character, I'm not overly impressed with her work. 4.5/10