Originally Posted by BlackFamily
Originally Posted by OakAsFan
I'm sure Pope is a composite of the '80s cocaine Godfathers like Felix Mitchell and Darryl Reed, but they weren't anything like the syndicate bosses. Nor do I think they wanted to be. That's what some people here don't understand.

Gambling is the only real racket in the bay area and I'm sure it's mostly Russians and Asians running it today. Oaks Card Club in Emeryville, started by Frank Costello associate Elmer "Big Bones" Remmer (pictured in my profile pic), is run by Asians today, and they've been subjects of investigations in recent years.

Lanza and Cerrito families were mostly into legitimate business, they'd carry out favors for families back east, like whacking Patriarca associate Joe "The Animal" Barboza.

Police in the bay area were always adverse to east coast racketeers. The only exception was Emeryville in the early 20th century, which at the time was as mobbed up as Nucky Johnson's Atlantic City, and that's not an exaggeration. Literally all of Emeryville's city council was on the take, and Remmer was the defacto mayor of that town. Obviously, there was no way a black person could be a racket boss in these days.

You'd be surprised when you dig into those scenarios.

You're right. I would.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea