Addonizio as mayor was basically having a made guy as mayor . Wise guys literally ran the city when he was mayor from what I have heard
And although that was a disaster for the city the riots is really what destroyed Newark, with many businesses and blue collar worker tax base leaving the city
In short order, and which they never recovered from . I have heard some crazy riot stories like the wise guys putting men on the rooftops in areas where it looked like
the riot might spill over into their neighborhood and having to use lethal force to push the rioters back .

However Newark is on its way back up , driven largely by booming economies in Manhattan and JC and it’s 12-20 min train ride to them. It still needs more time but in 10-20 years
It is likely to be a city that has expiedenced well above average real estate appreciation . I just hope the long term residents have or start buying real estate in their neighborhoods
Otherwise they are going to be pushed out with nothing like what happened to BK, JC and even Boken residents. It’s kind of sad to be honest and I think a lot of BK families moved
Out to NJ so they will be double fucked. With the WTC PATH built for $4B and looking incredible, Harrison path being re done for $300M, I see a $1B Newark Penn
Station make over in the near future (5-10 years ). Some majors developers have likely sniffed this out
And have been building new class A/B type residential apartments right around Newark Penn.