Originally Posted by Footreads
When I was a kid there was a show on channel 9 called Zachery at midnight. He was dressed up as a ghoul. They would show classic monster movies. So the idea is not new.

You're thinking of the late John Zacherle who started out in the late 1950's in Philadelphia as Roland (pronounced Ro-LAND), then was brought to NY television (originally WOR-TV channel 9, as I remember) as Zacherley. After his TV show ended, he enjoyed a long life as a radio personality and would occasionally do an annual Halloween radio show, reminiscent of the "old days". He was a regular guest at the annual Chiller Theatre conventions in New Jersey until his death. He kept active, well into his 90's.

[Linked Image]

I had the pleasure of meeting Zacherley a few times. A real gentleman. I understand he was best man at my late friend Mike's wedding a number of years ago. Michael R. Thomas was a makeup artist (he created the original Coneheads back in the 70's for SNL) who met his wife when they attended a reunion of Zacherley's show Disc-o-Teen - it was an American Bandstand-ish show that aired locally on New Jersey's WNJU-TV in the 60's. Mike and his wife-to-be Christine had both been dancers on the show back when they were teenagers.

Sorry for the thread drift...

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."