Yes TIS, it is a remake of the 1974 Charlie Bronson film of the same name.

DEATH WISH

I never saw the original version with Charlie Bronson so I have nothing to compare it to but Bruce Willis just seemed to mail in this performance. During the scenes were he's suppose to show emotion due to his wife's murder, Bruce just didn't seem to care and it showed. Camila Morrone who plays his daughter has more emotion and care for this movie than Bruce does. Vincent D'Onofrio is cast as Willis' brother Frank, who likewise at times, doesn't seem to care much. What I'm probably disappointed in the most is that Elisabeth Shue is relegated to these types of roles. I was a big fan of her's while I was growing up and she has a lot to offer. It's a shame she's wasted in a movie like this and seems to be exiled to TV shows. 6/10

DETROIT

Another film that looked better from the previews than in it's entirety. The story I felt was kind of rushed at the beginning and bounced around a lot. As such, by the time it did introduce us to our main characters, I wasn't invested in them at all. Their story of mistreatment and injustice is horrible and I'm not trying to belittle what they went through, but this film just didn't touch me in the way I believe they were hoping to reach an audience. However, unfortunately, we as a society haven't grown as much over the course of the last 50 years, as the story is as relevant today as it was back in 1967 when these events occurred: racial tensions and police brutality. Kathryn Bigelow has done better and this is definitely not one of her best films. In addition, some of the riot scenes looked too staged and that took me out of the moment. I'm a sucker for two things: continuity and authenticity and when either one of those is missing, it's hard for me to buy in as an audience member. The continuity of the film was fine but the authenticity ruined it for me. 5/10