Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
Why exactly is WAG THE DOG quite awful?

I thought Wag the Dog was horrible firstly, for its really non-sensical story. This didnt give the film a sense of satire or hilarious chaos or anything of that sort, it was just annoying and bothersome.

Levinson also did a horrible job of making the characters really likeable for the most part.

Basically, he really just seemed to come up with a good concept, which I did like, but then proceeded to just throw this shit together around the concept, without any real care for the rest of the film. The one good idea of the film is dragged out so much that by the end its not even interesting or funny anymore and all of the other, less intelligent humor in between fails to be funny.

Levinson also kind of seemed like he was trying to instill this feeling in the viewers that the characters were smarter than them and the events taking place on screen were occuring above them in terms of social importance or something, but none of them came off as especially intelligent or savvy, kind of discrediting the story.

Lastly, the ending was terrible. I don't quite remember it as of this moment, but I just remember Dustin Hoffman's character being led off to die somewhere for reasons that were kind of vague. Seemed like a desperate 4th quater attempt to wrap up the film in an interesting way.

DeNiro and Hoffman were even average at best in this film, and Anne Heche was just horrible.

So in conclusion, one of the worst films I've ever seen.

I dream in widescreen.