Originally Posted by furio_from_naples
Originally Posted by Michael_Giovanni

Originally Posted by NickyfromTampa
You really think the Bonannos & Colombos are that disliked? In the last five years or so, it seems the Bonannos have been attempting (and partially succeeding) to sort their affairs out. They are playing catchup by making dozens of new members, and they have had some very powerful crews in the past decade (Howard Beach, Williamsburg crew, Tottenville, etc., etc.)

Also, the Colombos are small, but are no joke. Their admin members (Andy Russo, Ben Castellazzo, Sonny Franzese) are very old-school, and seemed to conduct their business like old-school s. I don't see why they wouldn't be respected.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts, Michael Giovanni.

I would guess the case would be more of distrust than dislike. I agree that both the Bonannos and Colombos should be considered capable and I would assume they receive the respect they deserve from genovese guys or gambino guys. Certainly the guys you mentioned would be highly regarded and respected by everyone. I guess my point would be that considering that the Bonanno family is playing catchup like you say would it surprise you that a well run and stable family like the genovese would shun doing business with them? I wouldn't be surprised at all if Bellomo for example sends word to avoid business with them as much as possible. Even if there was a commission would they have a seat on it? I don't know the answer to that but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they were looked upon as trouble waiting to happen.

I agree with you that the colombos are no joke and that was probably a poor choice of word to describe how I view either family.

Maybe I'm wrong and way off base on this but I just have this general viewpoint as the genovese, gambino, lucchese being more old school more quiet less flashy and the bonannos and colombos as a bunch of young, wild crazy guys ready to rat soon as they get jammed up. That's probably an extreme viewpoint but I guess that's why I think the way I do.

The Bonanno was kicked up by commission due donnie brasco and with Massino can full recovery and when Mancuso will be out there will have a boss on the street and a full hierarchy while the Colombo are full of rats with an offcial boss in prison and a family destroyed by the Persicos.The Colombo leadership for sure is old school but if you are escluded by the rackets because the other families don't trust you,you'aren't a crime family but a street gang.

You're forgetting that the sort of exclusion we are talking about with the Colombos, is what allowed Joseph Massino's Bonanno family to grow so powerful. There hasn't been a made guy busted in the Colombos in two years, and that was a tiny extortion bust. Four years before that was their last big bust. Meanwhile every other family has had a capo busted just about every year.

Also, I don't see why you say the Colombos are full of rats. They are no fuller than the Bonannos or Luccheses.