Originally Posted by Michael_Giovanni

Originally Posted by NickyfromTampa
You really think the Bonannos & Colombos are that disliked? In the last five years or so, it seems the Bonannos have been attempting (and partially succeeding) to sort their affairs out. They are playing catchup by making dozens of new members, and they have had some very powerful crews in the past decade (Howard Beach, Williamsburg crew, Tottenville, etc., etc.)

Also, the Colombos are small, but are no joke. Their admin members (Andy Russo, Ben Castellazzo, Sonny Franzese) are very old-school, and seemed to conduct their business like old-school Mafias. I don't see why they wouldn't be respected.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts, Michael Giovanni.

I would guess the case would be more of distrust than dislike. I agree that both the Bonannos and Colombos should be considered capable and I would assume they receive the respect they deserve from genovese guys or gambino guys. Certainly the guys you mentioned would be highly regarded and respected by everyone. I guess my point would be that considering that the Bonanno family is playing catchup like you say would it surprise you that a well run and stable family like the genovese would shun doing business with them? I wouldn't be surprised at all if Bellomo for example sends word to avoid business with them as much as possible. Even if there was a commission would they have a seat on it? I don't know the answer to that but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they were looked upon as trouble waiting to happen.

I agree with you that the colombos are no joke and that was probably a poor choice of word to describe how I view either family.

Maybe I'm wrong and way off base on this but I just have this general viewpoint as the genovese, gambino, lucchese being more old school more quiet less flashy and the bonannos and colombos as a bunch of young, wild crazy guys ready to rat soon as they get jammed up. That's probably an extreme viewpoint but I guess that's why I think the way I do.

I see your point. All of the Colombos' troubles stem from the 1991-1993 war and no matter how well-oiled they try and run things now, it'll be another decade before they fully recover. All(?) of the family's turncoats in past two decades have stemmed from the 91-93 war. Most recently Tommy McLaughlin, Paulie Bevacqua, Anthony Russo, etc.
So I guess that even though the family is still very old-school in nature (they still do a traditional making ceremony with a gun, knife, etc. unlike the Bonannos & probably others and they have big meetings with the admin involved) other families might still be weary of them considering that young, up-and-coming hitters from the war are capos/admin now. All it takes is for the feds to connect the dots to a murder that now-capos Joseph Amato, Joseph Baudanza, or any other potential hitters did during the war. A
In fact, it seems that of all the families, the Colombos are the most excluded from rackets. You don't see their names mentioned often when indictments come down.

The Bonannos, on the other hand, seem to be very involved with other families' rackets. The most recent bust last month w/ the Bonanno administration had Eugene Castelle and a Genovese soldier involved. Soldier Frank Salerno was working with the Gambino family in Long Island. Bronx acting capo Johnny Joe Spirito Jr. & Patty Maiorino were working with the Pasquale Parrello crew (makes sense considering the Bonanno's Bronx crew is pretty decimated & the Genoveses still have a very strong presence). These busts are all from the past two years.