Michael Mann revisits.

The Insider - (Michael Mann;1999;USA)
A fired tobacco executive violates a confidentiality agreement by interviewing with 60 Minutes, but tobacco company Brown & Williamson pressure CBS and the executive.
Ultimately, this is a very important film overlooked. Above all it's about the ordinary working man being fucked by those with power, in this case Big Tobacco. There's no violence through the film, but it remains interesting through the entire ride. This is Pacino's best performance of the 90's. Russell Crowe is also great in it, more humane then his more recent dramas like Cinderella Man. Christopher Plummer is also one of the powerful presences in the film as Mike Wallace. Overall this is Michael Mann's masterpiece and best film. Everything is taut from the beautiful music to the cinematography, filled with a lot of blue/green/gray palettes. One of the best of the 1990’s. If it has something to say that's important, it's the tagline. Warning: Exposing the Truth May Be Hazardous.

Heat - (Michael Mann;1995;USA)
Two men on opposite sides of the law go head to head in L.A.
Mann's crime epic succeeds in being one of the best and most realistic crime films in the last few decades. The visuals are beautiful, along with the precise L.A. cinematography that makes the city stand out, unlike movies like To Live and Die in L.A. Pacino and DeNiro, to me don't appear to be trying to outact each other. Both turn in great performances in leading the film. The other characters are also very interesting, and it often feels like an Altmanesque crime film. The music is also wonderful from the two Moby tracks, to the other music used in the opening and heist scenes. The final frame of the film is truly a perfect ending to it.

Collateral - (Michael Mann;2004;USA)
One night in L.A. where a nihilistic assassin and a procrastinating taxi driver meet and completely change each other.
At first glance, the IMDB plot may scream "buddy comedy" but it's far from it. No scenes of fighting over a radio between rap and rock. Instead Mann brings us a Neo-Noir of great depth, lead by Jamie Foxx and Tom Cruise in great performances. The music, visuals, dialogue, and action all come together brilliantly. Even the cat and mouse scene, which is an average rising action, is directed with noticeable precision that keeps you interested. Antonio Pinto's "Requiem" is also a beautiful score for the final scene. This is also Tom Cruise's best performance along with Magnolia.

Ali - (Michael Mann;2001;USA)
A biopic of Muhammad Ali, from his early boxing days and conversion to Islam to his infamous "Rumble in the Jungle" match.
Many moments of the boxing scenes are real punches, and that type of realism is evident in it. They are very well directed. This is also the only good performance from Will Smith I can think of. Spike Lee was angered at Mann because he thought only a black director could do it justice, and he was wrong. In fact, not only did Mann do it justice, but I felt the assassination of Malcolm X was more memorable here then in Malcolm X (I've seen the ending time and time again, but not the whole Spike Lee film). The visuals, camera movement, and music are naturally good. Jon Voight is also pretty good as Howard Cosell. This is also the second sign of talent from Jamie Foxx, after Any Given Sunday and before Collateral. Definitely better then Cinderella Man, though I'm not sure about Million Dollar Baby. The scene where Ali runs through the streets of Africa is excellent.

Thief - (Michael Mann;1981;USA)
A safecracker working for himself begins working for a mobster in an effort to work his way into a normal lifestyle.
Close to being great, but this time I felt that the dated 80's feel worked against it. It's a great script from Mann, and I would support him remaking it today had James Caan not been in it, considering he adds a very good presence. The robbery scenes have the realistic Mann touch, and the dialogue between Caan and Nelson is great. Truly a very good film, but the music works against it, except for Tangerine Dream's last two pieces of music. The ending is very good as well.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006