Originally Posted by WhackWhack
Don Carlo was a legend. So was Don Peppino. But let's be frank here, Gambino died in 76 and Bonanno "retired" in the 60s...they never had to face Rico. Rico was created in 1970 but wasn't used on a Cosa Nostra member until Funzi. So I don't care how careful Carlo Gambino was in regards to talking and being discreet he would have died in prison if he made it to the 1980s. But I am not trying to diminish either at all. Bonanno is a pure legend, a founding member of the commission and a Don of a powerful family at the age of 26. Not to mention, the Bonanno family were the last family to ever have a member turn informant and they went ~65+ years until they had someone flip. That is what I find so ironic. First ever Cosa Nostra member to ever flip was a Genovese. The Bonannos were the last one to have someone flip and also went 30 years since Valachi flipped for it to happen. And now look, the Genovese are the cream of the crop and the Bonannos are decimated due to informers and actually had a sitting boss turn rat.

For shame.

Actually, Joe Valachi was not the first made member to talk to the law, only the first one to speak openly after he was looking at more time, and feared for his life. There were associates that talked and for the Bonanno family, no one started to really talk until the first war. Salvatore "Bill" Bonanno was informing to the F.B.I during the Bonanno war, as well as another unknown Bonanno soldier in Florida who was verified by a few other members who were talking to the law.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green