Before being shot, Joe Colombo was already looking at some serious time, more than 2.5 years. Al retired to Italy, and Buster turned down the prospect of serving as acting boss, but remain as the Consigliere, even his son Vincent served as acting boss. He did have an ego, and was already planing on making some moves before he would be locked up, on who would run the family, as he was grooming Mike Savino for the position, plus he had Joey Yac (who was close to Carlo Gambino) who would serve as his acting boss when he got locked up. Joe Colombo was more worried about Cammerata in Florida than he was about the Gallo brothers. Sonny was indeed the most likely successor for boss back in 1966 to 1967, then he got locked up and given that 50 year sentence, so Joe talked to Gambino and Carlo said Joe Yac. Carmine Persico would only have remained a Capo, until the 1980's, depending on who was made in the 1970's, and would have been given an administration position, perhaps Consigliere most likely if Colombo was still boss, or underboss if Joe Yac was boss.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green