Originally Posted by night_timer
Six Mile Road and Seven Mile Road (6 and 7 miles from Downtown Detroit, respectively) are far worse for crime than Eight Mile Road is.

Eight Mile Road is the true divider in Detroit - anything inside Eight Mile Road is sketchy. Outside Eight Mile Road is white and suburban.

The rapper Eminem now lives near a golf course and country club near 28 Mile Road these days. Before that, he grew up at 19946 Dresden Street, between Seven Mile Road and Eight Mile Road - a blighted area. I walked past his old place all the time, although I watched my back.

I have spent a lot of time in the rougher parts of Detroit. Generally the gang activity is small neighborhood gangs, not the big national franchises like the Bloods and Crips, although there's a few exceptions. The Mexican/Hispanic gangs would be over towards Southwest Detroit, but I know nothing about them.

One gang who used to get a bit of attention was YBN/PBS, who were also a semi-successful rap group in Detroit. Truthfully, most of these guys are brainless and have to resort to crime and muggings just to make a few bucks. Others are immature suckers lured into the supposed 'glamor' of the rap-gangster lifestyle.

The Italian mafia, or what's left of them, would likely be in Grosse Point, which is a nice area miles from the rumblings of Downtown. I never went that far out of town.

It's more national gangs in Detroit though alongside Crips, Bloods, GDN, BDN, VLN, LKN, LCN, MLDN there too.

If you think you are too small to make a difference, you haven't spend the night with a mosquito.
- African Proverb