I don't know exactly what Trump said (there are different stories about that), but I don't think he's a racist. If Trump calculated that he could get more votes by supporting minorities and criticizing the majority, then that is what he would do. Its just my opinion of course, but I think that Trump would have campaigned in favor of Mexicans and Muslims running the country if he thought that would have gotten him elected.

Saying that certain countries are shitholes (that seems to be the main accusation) is a criticism of the countries, not the races. For the people that start with the assumption is that he is a racist, then anything he says will be interpreted as racism. Its like the "Muslim ban". He wanted to ban immigration from countries that the Obama administration decided were likely to be terrorist havens. I don't remember anybody criticizing the Obama administration for being concerned about "majority Muslim" countries, but every time the Trump ban is discussed, the countries on the list are always called "majority Muslim" countries.