To recouperate from New Years, I spent this evening with 3 DVDs... here are lazy 3-sentence reviews of each.

First up, a Netflix Brad Renfro double-feature:

1) Apt Pupil (1998) [R]

"Kurt Dussander (Ian McKellen) has kept his dark past a secret for many years. But when Todd Bowden (Brad Renfro) recognizes him as one of the Nazi war criminals pictured in a history book, Todd confronts Dussander and blackmails him into revealing details about the concentration camps. What the scheming teen hasn't calculated is Dussander's faculty for Machiavellian mind games. Perhaps Todd should've stayed in class!" (from Netflix)

First time I've seen this adaptation of a Stephen King novella, and I really enjoyed it. McKellen (LOTR, X-Men) is excellent, and the story is quite interesting and always keeps you on your toes. Recommended. ****/5

2) Bully (2001) [NR]

"Sometimes, the not-so-nice guy ends up last ... or dead. Bobby (Nick Stahl) takes great joy in bossing around and beating up his best friend, a slovenly dropout ex-surfer named Marty (Brad Renfro). But Marty's girlfriend, Lisa (Rachel Miner), witnesses one too many of these pathetic incidents and vows to kill Bobby, even enlisting her friends -- and a hit man -- to help. Parental advisory: Contains sexually explicit material." (from Netflix)

Kelli Garner Oh, and also a disturbing look at the mindset of plotting to kill a friend, and, the aftermath. Based on a true story. ***/5

3) American Pie presents Band Camp (2005) [NR]

"The guardians of good taste behind the American Pie franchise dish up a new recipe for ribald humor with this bawdy tale of teen shenanigans. As punishment for his offenses, Stifler's younger brother, Matt (Tad Hilgenbrinck), is sentenced to a summer at band camp. A chip off the family block, the junior horndog tumbles through a series of outrageous escapades involving hidden cameras, riotous pranks and, of course, plenty of female flesh." (from Netflix)

Only two American Pie alumi that I noticed: Jim's Dad, and The Shermanator. But plenty of the same teen humor (and boobies!). I only bought it cuz I have the other 3 of the series and like to be complete. Did I mention boobies? **/5

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations