Originally Posted By: furio_from_naples
Originally Posted By: AllDay27
I'd say in respect to Matty Madonna he seems to have been on a short list of independently important people in regards to trafficking. Gene ran heroin with the Ruggiero brothers, Madonna inherited his brother Frank's already functional drug empire and became the narcotics arm of the entire Lucchese Family. He was the sole source to Nicky Barnes who is credited with "introducing" heroin to Harlem.

While I agree that certain longtime prisoned members are key factors to certain families, I'm not sure the comparison to Madonna can be made to Gene Gotti. I don't think he is in line for any type of leadership role in any scenario. I feel the Gotti name is not a well reputed one (for the most part) and the idea that part of the Gambino family would be handed back to Gene after years of wrestling leadership away from the Gotti's isn't something in my estimation that seems logical when they can continue to shuffle leadership through this Zips and let the Sicilian faction control the family through guys like Cefalu and Cali. IMO.

What I wanted to say is that since many gangsters have lost years in jail without opening their mouths, I think that the new generations must at least recognize their sacrifice for the "family". Maybe at 72 years old Gene will only want to enjoy any money put aside, and anyway among all the Gottis Gene is the only that deserves respect.

I can't fathom what makes you think that. I understand the "concept" but you need to come to terms with the reality of much of what is being discussed. If you were 20-30 right now, what does "recognize the sacrifice for the Family" mean in honesty to you? I'm sure he'll get some handshakes and some empty baseless compliments. In that respect he'll have his ego stroked publicly at bars and restaurants, but as far as fall in line behind him criminally, I think the question in fairness is kind of laughable. He was a lower level guy in a well known crew 40 years ago, the crew is LONG gone, the power has shifted away from his former faction. Almost nobody he knew well is active, I think it's a safe assumption Gene Gotti is a non-factor to anyone he could have ever hurt. He kept his mouth shut the whole time, he poses no threat to anyone as far as information goes.

Food for thought on Peter Limone.... The FBI got caught pinning a murder on mobsters, that settlement was over $100M.... I think his chunk of that money, along with his age when released made him a power player. If Gene Gotti or Carmine Persico got out and wanted to sprinkle their $33M share of a $100M+ settlement around to younger mobsters or out on the street, I'm sure they too would be assigned a designation and made to seem upper echelon when it's quite possible Limone could have been a glorified bank in those last years used mostly for the liquidity he offered.

Last edited by AllDay27; 12/25/17 11:00 AM.