Originally Posted By: Turnbull
But, the reason the Commission sanctioned the hit was because Galante had set up a profitable heroin pipeline from Sicily--and wasn't sharing it with the other families. You can never go wrong in Mob hits by following the money.

It may have been specifically that Galante wasn't sharing his part of the heroin pipeline profits with the other Commission members (bosses, underbosses, consilgieris). In my opinion, a specific family would be entrusted to manage and oversee this or that pipeline, but all Commission members would operate as group investors in all of the pipelines. Whatever the arrangement, it would never be a situation where one boss owned his own pipeline and kept all of the profits. Membership in and on the Commission meant you had the offer and the opportunity to invest in these projects. If you weren't a top drug capo/supervisor, or a member of a tripartite administration (Capo, Sotocapo, and Consigliere) belonging to the Commission, you were not to deal drugs. When the Bonannos were kicked off the Commission, that meant specifically that their narcotics activities were outlawed. But I only speculate.

When I use the term 'drug capo', I mean a captain who is not on the Commission, but overseas pipeline projects with their permission. Obviously a subordinate, but still a very principal player.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."