Just rewatched 1 and 2 the past couple of days. Something that should have stood out to me before but there's so many other good characters and stories to distract from it, was just how selfish Michael was compared to Vito. This is why I like the original version of GF 2 much better than some of the tv versions that have the story in chronological order.

It's important to switch back and forth between Vito and Michael in their start up years to emphasize how different their personalities were. Vito genuinely tried to help people. I can't think of one thing Michael did for anyone that wasn't in the commission of an agenda or nefarious act. The first time he invites Fredo out for a drink, he's only doing so to feel him out on the Roth situation. Even this tender moment between the brothers isn't genuine. Mike was gauging him all along.

Fredo, despite his traitorous acts which were obviously unforgivable by mafia standards, had a legitimate point when he criticized Michael for never having paid attention to him. He spelled it out, this was in fact the reason he betrayed him. Vito would have never let his own blood feel this way, no matter how preoccupied he might have been with family business.

"A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a true man".

I don't remember if Michael is in the room when Vito says this, but it's advice that could have prevented him from going down a path that led to him destroying his blood family, by way of alienating his wife and killing Fredo.

My goodness Micheal Corleone is one cold hearted character. What a great story by Misters Puzo and Coppola.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea