Originally Posted By: Aces
You grow up in a middle class, blue collar neighborhood, perhaps even under middle class.
Your parents raise you correctly, teaching you about respecting teachers, cops, and elders. They teach you the value of hard work and sacrifice as well as the importance of education. Who have a job during high school and you graduate and either go to college or work. You meet a nice girl, get married and start a family. Times are tough in the beginning but you finally save enough for a down payment for a small house in a nice suburb that has a low crime rate and good school system unlike the less desirable town next door.
After a few years you find out the state is consolidating school systems so now your children will be going to school with those in the other town which has a high crime rate and high teen pregnancy rate.
You work hard every day and you work equally as hard trying to instill the value of hard work, family values, respect, and education in your children where the majority of your current neighbors are like minded.
Now your children are exposed to children that dont come from families with strong values, respect, and hard work. They come from families where the only adult in the home is a mother who is taking care of 3 or 5 children who may be from different men. They will also be exposed to gang activity and other criminal and immoral behavior ( having kids at 16 ).
Before i get labled a racist, which im not, ask yourself this: what would you do if a high crime school district was merging with yours? Didnt you work hard so you can afford to raise your children in a safe environment? I dont want my children exposed to the nonsense that many inner cities bring. If i did, i would choose to live in the inner city.
The main question is this ? Why should i pay for the sins of an irresponsible parent who makes irresponsible decisions?
I also dont want to penalize their children for the mistakes of their immature/ irresponsible parent. I donate money either through church or taxes those that are less fortunate.
Very,Very well thought out & written..I could'nt have said it better myself..I have these thoughts myself everyday.

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...