Originally Posted By: GaryMartin
Nice work, Toodoped. I remember reading about Alex being very nervous. Accardo told him to go to the country and chop wood. He may have spent some time institutionalized for his nervous/emotional problems, not really sure.

Yeah, Lenny Patrick put him away and the Outfit continued it's decline. Those old timers were cut from a different cloth. Tough guys.

Thanks GaryMartin and also here's one small part from a conversation between Humphreys and some unknown individual regarding Alex's health problems. I also believe that this might be one of those kinds of convos which after being finished, and if a decision was brought, allegedly some unstable or suspicious people might get killed:

HUMPHREYS: Listen, did Gussie (Alex) go away?

UNKNOWN: Yeah.

HUMPHREYS: He bothers me, you know? There’s something real wrong with that kid.

UNKNOWN: He’ll be all right.

HUMPHREYS: I was just talking to him and he gets hot right away, you know? The kid is worst off then we think he is. He is trying to put up a front.

UNKNOWN: Well, uh, you be patient, and have little more confidence, because, uh… you see we talked to doctors. It takes anywhere from six to nine months for that shit to get out of your system. Take that time in California. He says… the main thing he’s got to do is relax.

HUMPHREYS: Yeah, but we had those things before, you know? The only thing you can’t throw anything at them.

UNKOWN: …so I told him, go away for a while, and relax. So he comes back, and takes whatever they throw at him. Mooney (Giancana), see?

HUMPHREYS: Well, he fights everybody. See, everybody has the same thing, only we have it all day long, all the time. He can’t take it. It’s rough for those younger guys. I tell them for fucks sake, you guys don’t even know what it is.

And another one in which Humphreys says to Alex to chill out and to begin working as a team, which might explain Humphrey's previous "doubts" in Alex's activities:

ALEX: Forget it, I got work to do.

HUMPHREYS: Why don’t you cut it so you can relax a little bit and get this bullshit off your mind? Moe (Giancana) in town?

ALEX: Won’t be until tomorrow.

HUMPHREYS: Now listen here, you and I are gonna have to work in teamwork. Gonna have to work a little bit better. Now I’ll tell you. Don’t go around saying you’re smarter then I am cause we’re not supposed to be smarter than each other. We’re supposed to work like a team.

ALEX: I never told anybody. I never told anybody I’m smarter than you. Whoever told you that is a liar.

HUMPHREYS: You tell everybody Greeks are smarter than the Welsh.

ALEX: Smarter than you?

HUMPHREYS: No, now listen. I want to talk to you. We have to work in teamwork.

And the last short convo is between First Ward bosses Buddy Jacobson and Pat Marcy both refering to John D'Arco regarding the Outfit's violent nature, except for Alex being the most reasonable one:

JACOBSON: You can’t argue with these guys, John! I told you what he (Giancana) told Pete Fosco. Fosco wanted to quit and he (Giancana) said, why you fat f*ck! You quit and I’ll hit you in the head! These are funny guys. Same thing with Frank Annunzio. He (Giancana) said tell him to quit, if not he’ll be picked up off the pavement.

MARCY: They’re all alike. You talk to Moe (Giancana), you talk to Teets (Battaglia), you talk to Marshall (Caifano), they’re all alike. These f*cks all got a one track mind, John, you can’t reason with these guys. The only guy that you can, that is half way sharp is Gus (Alex). But he’s strictly organization, no sh*t about it.

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good